Re: New Internet Draft: draft-duerst-archived-at-00.txt

2004-10-28 03:53:27

Martin Duerst writes:
As said in other mails, the way we use these headers, it's mostly humans rather than email programs using them. Is there something in the email specs (e.g. RFC 2822 or so) that would forbid such headers?

No, although...

I believe that as a rule of thumb, it's bad to go against the grain of a design. In theory it can be sensible and right, but generally it turns out to be a bad idea eventually. And in mail, the header fields that are meant for direct human consumption are generally unstructured (ie. they use the 'unstructured' production in RFC2822). The ones that aren't unstructured are generally meant to be parsed.

Thinking the other way round, your comments above seem to indicate that you think the Web and Email should both work as two separate worlds. The reason for the proposal at hand, however, is to create possibilies for better connections between these worlds.

I realized that later. Sounds sensible to my ears.

Arnt