Re: New Internet Draft: draft-duerst-archived-at-00.txt

2004-10-27 12:41:56

On Wed October 27 2004 13:48, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

 Don't you ever type '<a href="' and then pause, realizing you want
 to link to a message that's somewhere in your mailbox?

No, I don't; what's your point?

When I do, that field is useful. So... is it highly unusual to want to
link to a message in a mail archive?

Perhaps not, but if one is already looking at the archive, one
can simply copy and paste the URI of the message in that archive
rather than grubbing through the message content itself for the
field, stripping brackets, etc.   And if one has the entire message
available (as is necessarily the case with Archived-At), it is just
as easy to forward the message or quote relevant parts of it.
Or it can be referenced by message-id.

As mentioned in another message, I'm concerned about the
balance between utility, (in)compatibility, and security
(vulnerabilities).