Re: New Internet Draft: draft-duerst-archived-at-00.txt

2004-10-28 10:43:00

On Thu, 2004-10-28, Keith Moore wrote:

Again, I think the real utility with this field and email readers is
being able to use that message as a starting point to browse a
collection.  They are as likely to perform operations (like replies,
refiles, forwards) on other messages in that collection as they are
with the original one.

One issue I see with a text/rfc822 message is that it provides *no* way to
determine the "collection" by itself. It is just a message, sitting alone. It
might be possible to parse an imap: URL to determine the mailbox that the
message resides in, but IMAP is not as widely supported as we might like for
Archived-At purposes. On the other hand, with all of their drawbacks, HTML
archives usually provide navigation links on the same page as the message to
the containing collection.

--
Bill McQuillan <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>