Re: New Internet Draft: draft-duerst-archived-at-00.txt

2004-10-26 15:27:08

>> So what Martins draft needs to say is something like "If the scheme of the
>> URI is 'http', then the entity that is returned SHOULD have the
>> Content-Type message/rfc822".
>
>Maybe. I'd like to encourage more archives to support native format access. I do think it' s reasonable for a standard for accessing mail archives to behave predictably (as in, provide some minimum format for the sake of interoperability), and that it's reasonable to give mail readers the message in a format that they can use. I'm concerned that simply saying "SHOULD use 822" will alienate those that don't. "SHOULD provide 822; MAY provide HTML or other formats if the access protocol supports content-negotiation seems about right to me.

As explained in my answer to Charles, I don't want to recommend stuff
that I haven't seen implemented.

The reason you haven't seen it implemented is that you are looking at archives with web browsers. Internet email readers don't currently have a way of accessing archives (except perhaps for read-only IMAP), so there aren't many archives that are set up for use by email readers. But all internet email readers support message/rfc822 to some degree, whereas not all of them support HTML or other formats.

 I think making messages available as
message/rfc822 is a great idea at least on paper, but in W3Cs case,
things are currently working quite well with serving the messages
just as HTML,

Apparently you don't expect much from email archives. IMHO you should be able to do anything with an archived message that you can do with a message you received in your inbox - read it with any mail reader, reply to it, forward it (as a message) to somewhere else, search it as if it were a message, display or save any of its body parts, follow threads to other messages (including those in your inbox), etc. In addition, HTML has proven to be a poor format for use in email because of numerous security risks associated with scripts, objects, and referenced images along with the expectation that these are invoked or displayed without user consent.

If you are designing a way to allow email messages to reference archives, it makes good sense to make those messages usable by email readers.

and I don't want to give potential users the impression
that they have to support message/rfc822 or they better won't use
Archived-At at all.

That's very close to the the impression that they should get. More precisely:

a) those who use archived-at should take pains to archive their messages faithfully (meaning in the original format) and in such a way as to be readable by the vast majority of mail readers (i.e. in message/rfc822), and

b) If you want interoperability the last thing you want to do is to burden email readers with having to support arbitrary formats for archived messages.