Re: Archives

2004-11-03 10:12:25

In <20041102105254(_dot_)2fc93eb6(_dot_)moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

On Sun October 31 2004 18:03, Keith Moore wrote:

though for the
sake of efficiency I'm wondering about options to use mbox format
(yeech) and compression,

It's not clear what efficiency would result; mbox format is a pain
to edit (e.g. to remove spam or other inappropriate messages that
might get into the archive)

there are lots of tools that edit mbox files, e.g. ucbmail.

and has the disadvantage of putting
all of the eggs in one rather vulnerable basket. It would also be
difficult to provide ftp*etc.) access to individual messages from
a flat mbox file.

yup.  the clients would have to download the entire mbox file.

Actually, you can construct an http url that would access an individual
message within an mbox file, and you would only pay for the bandwidth of
that particular message.

But I do not suggest that as a practicable solution to this problem,
because there are too many other snags with it, as you have outlined.

One of my concerns with the archive of this list (and of other lists
handled by imc.org) is that the accessible archive is in html. Yes, there
is indeed a text version at http://www.imc.org/ietf-822/entire-arch.txt,
but that is a monolithic mbox file of everything since 1997. I shudder to
think how big it must be, and there appears to be no index into it.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.