Re: New I-D: draft-koch-subject-tags-considered-00.txt

2004-12-01 14:58:54

On Dec 01 2004, Keith Moore wrote:
FWIW, I happen to know that the reason [] is added to the subject in
that
particular case is because Outlook Express doesn't allow automatic
filing
of messages based on arbitrary header fields, but can trigger rules
based on words in the subject.

that's an interesting observation, but it seems like an
overgeneralization.  not everyone who wants [listname] tags in the
subject uses Outlook Express.

Yes, I wouldn't suggest it's the major reason for the convention, or
even an original reason for it.

Given the wide deployment of Outlook Express however, I expect it
alone is sufficient to ensure the continuation of this convention,
ceteris paribus. Of course this can probably be said about other
software as well.

Laird.