Re: Attempts at establishing harmful conventions

2004-12-02 17:05:32

At 8:22 PM +0200 12/2/04, Kai Henningsen wrote:
This here UA does something like "You changed the subject. Do you want to keep the references? Y/N", except that's not the actual text. (Too lazy to test it now, and it's in German anyway.)

That seems simple enough.

Indeed, it seems simple enough, and you would think that stating something plainly in the user's language would do some good.

Unfortunately, users make only so much room in their brains for communications technology. I know that, for example, if my mailserver is down for a while and somebody (not in the email business) gets a delay notification, there is a better than even chance that they will resend the message, saying "I'm not sure if you got this", despite the text in the notification that says: YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. :-(
--
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?