Re: Best MUA handling of duplicate messages from mailing lists

2004-12-13 05:12:31

In <200412100846(_dot_)27441(_dot_)blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

On Thu December 9 2004 14:33, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

My new idea is that the preference could be noted by one or more headers
from the originator, and the responder and the mailing list exploder
could then behave accordingly. I think this has not been proposed before
here, but then I have not read all mail...

This needs a great deal more explanation before I can comment:
 whose preference?
 for what?
 communicated to whom and/or to what?
 by who or by what?
 used how?
 for what purpose?
 in what manner?
 is it scalable (multiple authors, multiple recipients, multiple lists)?
 is yet another header field appropriate (vs. some other configuration
setting, etc.)?
 how would it interact with existing fields?
 what about users of web interfaces to lists?

In the earlier discussions we had, many people considered that the
Mail-Followups-To header, if carefully used, could provide a reasonable
solution to these problems (though two people notably dissented from that
view).

Since Jacob Palme, who is the author of the only extant draft for the MFT
header, has now joined us, perhaps it would be useful for him to dust down
that draft and bring it up to date. The list of issues that Bruce lists
would have to be taken into consideration, and indeed many of them are
already addressed in Jacob's original draft.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.