Re: MHTML: cid href to message/rfc822 in multipart/related

2004-12-23 03:36:53

At 11.29 +0530 04-12-23, Hari Krishna Pammi pammi wrote:
Hi,

I have gone through RFCs RFC 2387, 2392 and 2557.
I want to create a multipart/related message where the HTML part has a
cid url with Content-ID of a message/rfc822 part. The idea is when I
click on the link, the mail client should show me the message/rfc822
attachment in a separate MAIL window.

However, this doesn't seem to work any of the popular mail clients. I
have tried with Mozilla 1.7.3, Thunderbird 1.0. and Outlook Express 6,
but none of the clients seem to support this.

The RFCs only have examples with images (IMG). but not with href links
to a message/rfc822.

I have also gone through ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org archives, but could'nt
find
anything related to this topic. So , can anyone please help me:

Q. Is it possible to have a mechanism where I can click on a link in a
HTML mail message (MHTML) and the client shows a message/rfc822 mail
part in another email window. If so , what should be the format of the
message. what should the href link contain ?

It is permitted by the MHTML standard, but not supported by
major vendor. This means that you can only use it when you
control both the MUA for sending and the MUA for receipt.

In general, major vendors have chosen to support only
links to objects visible in the base page, not links to
objects you can click on. The latter would allow sending
a whole website in a single mail message, but is thus
just supported by major vendors.

Note: Mozilla/thunderbird shows the attachment in a browser window and
does not recongnize the MIME structure of the attachment. Hence it
shows as plain text.

Content-Disposition should control whether a body part
is shown inline or as an attachment. I believe, however,
that some receiving MUAs show some body parts inline
and not as attachments, even though Content-Disposition
says attachment and not line.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/