Re: Folding of long lines in message bodies

2005-06-07 11:19:57

In <200506061521(_dot_)05374(_dot_)blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

On Mon May 30 2005 14:30, Charles Lindsey wrote:
And if implemented correctly, it should not result
in extremely long lines

And yet it does.  See
http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/mail-archive/msg01961.html
for example.

There is no way of telling (because full headers are not available)
whether that messange was sent with format=flowed, or not.

Exactly. My own experience has been that I receive text messages with absurdly
long lines without fail every day. But if any of them have format=flowed set I
haven't noticed it (and a quick inspection of my mailbox didn't turn up any).

The long lines problem started long before format=flowed became available and
persists despite its availability. Our mistake wasn't in defining
format=flowed, but in not attempting to use it's definition as a means to try
and stop this particular form of bad behavior.

                                Ned