Re: Understanding response protocols

2005-06-09 11:24:38

Some MUAs (e.g. Apple's Mail.app) are even worse in that
they require you to copy and paste one address at a time.  Often you
end up having to resize and/or move the compose and mail reader windows
so that you can have the relevant portions of each on the screen at the
same time.

Frankly, this sucks dead pigs through a straw.

If it hurts, don't do it:
o Pick a better UA
o Roll your own
o Complain to the vendor

One or more of those would solve the problem for me.  I'm trying to
address the larger problem that email is made dysfunctional for everyone
because of lousy reply behavior.

We need [...] A header to be set by the list maintainer.
Yes, but only after we get MUAs to improve their UIs.

Blocked by too much cruft in the message header, leading to UA developers
who understandably by default hide most header fields.

There are better ways to display the information in many of those header fields
than to display the fields themselves, and many MUAs already do that.  Reply-To
is just one example of a field that isn't effectively presented at present.

There are other UI issues.  For example, how far down the legal
"look-and-feel" rathole would you like to go?

I don't think we can specify look-and-feel.  I do think that we can encourage
better MUA behavior, probably through an Informational document.

Keith