Re: gzip/deflate compression/encoding

2005-06-26 20:50:40

This conversation seems to have started off the ietf-822 list, but
I assume it refers to draft-freed-newenc-00.txt or similar?
Otherwise, please advise if the following is off topic.

I don't see the benefit of complicating the mail message format with
compression methods.

Since support for compression is already built into the TLS protocol
by RFC 3749, the benefit in lower bandwidth requirements and faster
transfer can be achieved today as long as both the server and client use
this feature.

On the other hand, the message sender is already free to compress his
attachments any way desired, and introducing a compressed transfer encoding
will seriously complicate MIME decoders.

Am I missing something in this discussion?

Laird Breyer.