Re: draft-resnick-2822upd-02 and Netnews

2007-08-26 06:39:42

I believe what follows is largely or completely compatible with Pete's and Ned's comments:

Pete Resnick wrote:
2. SP after the ':' in headers
------------------------------

That is REQUIRED in draft-ietf-usefor-usefor-12, and it is REQUIRED in the new NNTP standard RFC 3977. Since every known MUA already generates headers that way

Please some support for this, including a review of the DRUMS archive. If we're going to make this change, you do the research. I seem to remember a discussion of this during DRUMS, and having the space

This really underscores the difference between making changes that "fix" RFC2822, versus adding the (new) the goal of compatibility with other messaging standards.

The former is required for the current exercise.  But why is the latter?

I mean, do we really want to go through the exercise of testing every single RFC2822 parser, to make sure that we will not be breaking it (unnecessarily)?

There is no technical reason for requiring any white space here, since the colon provides the necessary syntactic marker. So requiring a space is either a compatibility requirement for "interoperating" with other messaging standards or it is a human factors usability requirement. As much as the latter might be appealing, I suspect we don't want to go down that path.

This is the sort of specification detail that would have made quite a lot of sense when we began writing messaging specs, but does not warrant the risk of side-effects (to quote Pete) at the present stage of deployment.

optional was where we ended up. Can we check?

There is one slight consequence that you should then forbid header lines with only whitespace after the header-name (because trailing whitespace has a habit of getting lost).

And this gets us into a "changes with potential side-effects" problem that worries me.

Indeed. Absent a clear and substantial demonstrating of operational problems, we should not be making any changes to the specification. Doing things that appear to clean up the spec or otherwise make it better, absence a compelling demonstration of need, is inviting problems. Let's not do that.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking