registering new MIME types for an application

2007-10-02 06:45:42

I'm not sure if this is the correct list for this (there are tons!), but it was suggested that I try this list. Here's my question:

We have recently been asked by one of our customers if we have registered MIME types for our application's documents. They said they needed MIME types because part of their process is web-based, and suggested we use the following assignments:

application/vnd.multiad.creator
image/vnd.multiad.creator

MultiAd is our company name. Creator is the name of our software application which creates and edits documents. The Creator file format is proprietary. While Creator documents are of a graphical nature, I don't feel they are "image" documents in the same vein that the current

I've read through RFC4288, but am still unsure if we should register only the application/vnd.multiad.creator or both the appliation and image types. I'm very new to this whole MIME type process (I'm a developer, not an IT type person). Would you be able to suggest what would be best, or explain why both might be required?

Steve Mills                              Me: 952-401-6255
Senior Software Architect                         MultiAd
smills(_at_)multiad(_dot_)com                       www.multi-ad.com