Re: registering new MIME types for an application

2007-10-02 16:25:54

On 10/2/07 at 8:56 AM -0500, Steve Mills wrote:

MultiAd is our company name. Creator is the name of our software application which creates and edits documents. The Creator file format is proprietary. While Creator documents are of a graphical nature, I don't feel they are "image" documents in the same vein that the current list of image/* types are. But since they certainly aren't audio or video, I guess image is the tree that fits best.

I've read through RFC4288, but am still unsure if we should register only the application/vnd.multiad.creator or both the appliation and image types. I'm very new to this whole MIME type process (I'm a developer, not an IT type person). Would you be able to suggest what would be best, or explain why both might be required?

I don't see a reason to register the image type. It sounds like your documents are in the same category as PDFs, which are certainly an application sub-type. Register the application/vnd.multiad.creator and be done with it. :-)

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102