Re: I-D Action:draft-crocker-email-arch-10.txt

2008-02-24 23:07:03

<Internet-Drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

Title           : Internet Mail Architecture
Author(s)       : D. Crocker
Filename        : draft-crocker-email-arch-10.txt

===
In the Message-ID chapter:

| If a message is included in a digest of messages, it the digest
| constitutes a new message.

s/it//

===
| If a message is "redirected", such as using RFC2822 "Redirect-*"
| headers, some recipients will consider it the same message, but
| some will not.

That's about s/Redirect-* header/Resent-* header fields/

2822upd-06 offers a SHOULD for Resent-Message-ID, what excuse do
the "some" have to add no Resent-Message-ID, RFC 822 ?

===
Table 4.1.4:

Sender set by source, so far it's clear.  Then I'd expect that
To/Cc/Bcc are also set by the source, not by the author.

Ditto and more important Rcpt-To is not set by the author, but
by the source (or mediator).  Mail-From set by source is clear,
but Mail-From can be also set by the mediator, e.g., by a list,
or in the "Resent-*" cases.

The table would be clearer with "indicates" instead of "set by",
e.g., a Reply-To might be "set by" the source (sender) secy@,
but it "indicates" the preferred reply address of the author...
hopefully, otherwise secy@ has a problem with boss@

===
| notifications Return addresses

An "envelope sender address" is the term used in the DSN draft
standards, maybe "also known as envelope sender address" helps.

===
"Helo/Ehlo set by source":  The table states "set by latest
relay client", IMO the table is correct, not set by the source.

===
| The name of this field is misleading, because it is not
| required to specify either the author or the agent Actor
| responsible for submitting the message.  Rather, the agent
| Actor responsible for submission specifies the
| RFC2821.MailFrom address.

After ignoring the reverse-path routing cruft it is supposed to
be an "envelope sender address" (see above) dealing with error
notifications and other auto-replies.  The envelope sender is
"responsible" for submitting the message (wrt SMTP), IMO that's
the definition.

In other words, responsible is either the source or a mediator.
The latter is apparently explained in chapter 5, so I guess for
chapter 4 only source is as it should be.

===
For chapter 5.2 Resent-Message-ID could be also interesting.

 Frank