Re: [ietf-822] WSJ/gmail/ML, was a permission to...

2014-05-04 03:06:48
On 03/05/2014 22:13, Hector Santos wrote:
On 5/3/2014 2:59 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

Who is the 'author' of the message? The message you received is NOT
the one I sent. So, I'm not the author, so why am I in the 'From'
field? So, arguably, the From field should be changed. Possibly it
should be changed to:

From: paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk, ietf-822(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

because we both, "collaboratively", wrote the message. However, this
would probably break some mail clients/filters/etc because using
multiple From addresses is not "normal".

Paul,

You need to translate this technical philosophy into client/server protocol rule which means that the authoring domain has authorized resigning with a DMARC policy. Otherwise, its will be detected as an unauthorized signer, spoofed mail.
No, all you need to do is admit that the mailing list server sent the message that came from the mailing list server - so set that to be the From/return-path.

Then, it's not spoofed, it doesn't upset DKIM/DMARC, and it all works fine.

The only down-side is that the From address has been changed - but I'm not really convinced that's enough of a down-side to warrant all the shenanigans to get it to work any other way.

This doesn't help anonymous forwarders, but, personally, I think those should be treated as the special case, rather than mailing lists.

-

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800
Vat No: GB 685 6987 53