Re: [ietf-822] utf8 messages

2014-08-28 03:46:30
Mark Martinec <Mark(_dot_)Martinec+ietf(_at_)ijs(_dot_)si> wrote:
> It is not possible (even in the absence of SMTPUTF8 support) to be
> able to transfer e-mail messages with no out-of-band ("metadata" /
> envelope) information. The most obvious reason is the list of
> recipient addresses, which is not present in a message itself.

Tony Finch <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at> wrote:
That is what the BCC: header is for (before message submission,
if not at other times). [...]
I think it was a mistake not to specify in-header versions
of those directives.

In addition to what Ned Freed said, in case of mail forwarding
(alias/forward, not resent) where a transition MTA replaces one or more
recipient address with a new set, e.g. final mailbox destinations,
or replacing a role address with final recipients), there is no place
for mucking with Bcc or Cc or To header fields. These must remain
intact, just like with a passage of a message through a mailing list.

  Mark