Re: [ietf-822] (no subject)

2018-07-23 23:28:22
On Tue, 24 Jul 2018, Peter Occil wrote:
I mean from the point of view of a software developer creating a library to
generate email messages.  This software developer is not the one who comes up
with values for header fields (such as URLs for List-Unsubscribe header
fields).  If the developer's software library is passed a List-Unsubscribe
header field value greater than 998 characters in length (e.g., when a
third-party user uses that library to generate a blank message, then to set the
List-Unsubscribe header field to such a value, then to generate a finished
message), the software developer would then have to make a choice whether to
program that library--

But this is engineering, not theology. If you use long URLs in headers, they don't work very well. So don't do that. If it were my library I'd throw an error if the list-unsubscribe header didn't fit in 998 characters so the person calling it would know to fix whatever was generating giant URL strings.

Regards,