Re: [ietf-822] folded URLs

2018-07-24 11:50:20
So in that case, would a reasonable update to RFC 2369 be to impose a
character limit of 998 characters on list header fields, including the
List-Unsubscribe header field? ...

Now, if there was evidence that people are attempting to put huge
URLs in List-* headers and causing problems then there would be justification
for adding some text about it. But IMO it would still not rise to the level
of calling for an update to the specification.

The question that started this was an observation that some software does a poor job of unfolding folded URLs in headers. That's clearly a quality of implementation issue, like a lot of other issues in mail, and there is no reason to believe that waving fingers at people who misimplement stuff will make any difference. It's hardly the only place that unfolding URLs doesn't work -- try copying and pasting a URL that some MUA helpfully folded while quoting a message in a reply.

I suppose it would be nice to have some place to put advice like your life will be easier if your URLs fit on one line, but standards track RFCs doesn't seem like it.

Regards,

PS to Peter: in case it's not obvious, I do appreciate your finding places where the ABNF disagrees with the practice, even if we don't always agree on what to do about it.