Re: [ietf-822] What about doing more? (was: Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-01.txt)

2020-10-13 12:20:59
In article <3795a81a-d13d-8e4a-2ba7-20bc987f1a1d(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> you
write:
This thread seems to be about a concern that an implementor will not
know how to properly deal with Unicode.  No doubt that's a valid issue,
but this specification isn't the place to fix this.  Unicode is a
discrete (and complex) topic.

Quite right. Ever since MIME was invented 30 years ago it's been
possible to send mail that includes text with code points that aren't
valid in their putative encoding. I am having trouble understanding
why anyone thinks we this is a problem we should try to solve now for
this tiny application.

If there is a statement to include, it should be a very general,
non-normative pointer to background information about Unicode or Unicode
technical issues.

Naah.  Let's leave the worms in the can for once.

R's,
John