Re: [ietf-822] What about doing more?

2020-10-11 07:07:36
On 10/8/2020 6:35 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
The Unicode Emoji List is revised more or less annually.  This means that releasing software that validates this header against the contents of UTS #51 is liable to fall out of date.

The RFC series come with an up-pointer reference mechanism for replacement versions. It appears that The Unicode Consortium does not. I'd guess the best we can do is to have some generic language associated with the reference that says "or a successor".

...some system attempts to decode the
IDN, finds that it contains unallocated code points

How about:

Reference to unallocated code points SHOULD NOT be treated as an error; the associated bytes SHOULD be presented in numeric form.

or some such?

d/

--
Dave Crocker