Re: [ietf-822] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-01.txt

2020-10-07 14:53:59
Fully interoperable email uses 7-bit ASCII, although some email handling
paths directly support 8-bit ASCII.

Um, what is 8-bit ASCII?  (I presume you don't mean IBM's failed USASCII8
on S/360.)  If you mean UTF-8, ...

 Emoji characters are drawn from the
space outside of 7-bit ASCII.  [IntHdr] covers data encoding for email
header fields, along handling paths that are known to be 8-bit clean.

Not really.  There is more to EAI than 8-bit clean.  That is, EAI mail
handling is 8-bit clean, but not everything that is 8-bit clean is EAI
or UTF-8.  For example, my qmail system has been 8-bit clean for 20 years
but I still needed to make a lot of changes for EAI and default UTF-8 to
work.  Without the UTF8SMTP indicator, mail systems can assume any random
encoding for non-ASCII bytes.

[MIMEencode] covers encoding for paths that are not known to be 8-bit clean.

Well, sort of.  It covers encoding for 5322 compliant mail.

R's,
John

NEW:

      Emoji and any other code points outside the ASCII range MUST be encoded
      using [MIMEencode], unless the message is Internationalized [RFC6532].