Re: [ietf-822] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-02.txt

2020-10-16 18:08:11
In article <8e06bde3-b344-466f-8ac8-313d70436cb4(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> you
write:
Note -- Diff:

     https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-crocker-inreply-react-02

Looks better but this part is still wrong:

   Fully interoperable email uses 7-bit ASCII, although some email
   handling paths directly support 8-bit data.  Emoji characters are
   drawn from the space outside of 7-bit ASCII.  For email handling
   paths that are 8-bit clean, the an emoji character does not need
   special encoding. If the path from author to recipients is not known
   to be 8-bit clean, The emoji character SHOULD be encoded using
   [MIME-Enc].

In non-EAI mail there is no rule about interpreting 8-bit stuff other
than that it is invalid, and definitely no rule that assumes it is
encoded as UTF-8. I have no idea whether there are other character
sets that have emoji, and I don't think any of us want to waste time
finding out.

UTF-EBCDIC is one such.

   <ducks and runs>

 Ergo:

   In messages that are not Internationalized [RFC6532], emoji and any
   other non-ASCII characters MUST be encoded using [MIME-Enc].

+1

                                Ned