Re: [ietf-822] More encoding (was Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-02.txt)

2020-10-18 15:09:19
On 10/16/2020 4:01 PM, Ned Freed wrote:
>>     In messages that are not Internationalized [RFC6532], emoji and any
>>     other non-ASCII characters MUST be encoded using [MIME-Enc].
> +1

Drat.  Thought I'd included the text for this.

However, I just got an offlist suggestion I'd like to get reactions to:

> ... consider allowing the emoji to be specified (one option) as
> "U+1F44D", so:
>    In-Reply-React: U+1F44D U+1F622

The plus is that it's extremely simple, and works nicely for short
sequences like this.

The minus is that it's not 'standard'.

Thoughts?

My thought is "no". It's not that encoded-words are great, it's that they enjoy
universal deployment. Use encoded-words and access to the unencoded form is one
routine call away, if that. Anything else is more work, and no matter how much
better is looks to coding geeks, it's still nonsense to users.

Ned