RE: [Asrg] Mail Cookies Was: Single-User Addresses

2003-03-03 15:30:03
Hadmut Danisch wrote:
As the experiment just proved: Not even this ASRG mailing
list can cope with it...
        Your experiment proves nothing other than that this mailing list
software works as advertised. When you registered for the mailing list,
you told it the email address that you would use when sending messages.
The address you gave it did not include the key, thus, your message was
put in the approval queue. I haven't tested it, but I wouldn't be
surprised if things would have worked well if you had registered as
"hadmut+(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de" rather than as
simply "hadmut(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de".
        In any case, this particular problem only happens when the
receiving software has implemented a white list (as this mailing list
software does) and if you have inserted the signature into the "FROM"
field. The same problem will not happen, however, if you leave your FROM
field as your base address (no signature) and only insert the signature
into the "Reply-To" field.
        If this message reaches the list, it will prove that a signature
embedded in the reply-to field does not interfere with mailing
processing. Since I've modified the reply-to heading for this mail to
include a "signature." Many people will, in fact, be able to benefit
immediately from single-user addresses. One will simply need to avoid
supplying such addresses to mailing lists or users of systems that don't
support the things. This is not ideal, but it is better than waiting for
a few years for new headers to be supported broadly.

                bob wyman