Re: [Asrg] Going to Extremes to Fight Spam

2003-03-04 09:46:42
check against spam-blacklist-server if
19.168.0.103/yoshi4184.myip.org is a trusted mail relay server.

Blacklists have lots of problems, as most list readers know.  They
can be overly-broad, or else too narrow.

Correct, they can be overly-broad, or else too narrow. On the other hand...
if maintaind correctly and updated like DNS servers you have the option to
access a correct and good updated list. Which organisation would be
responsible of maintaining the list I do not known at this moment and should
be a point of disscusion in this mailling list I think.

Aboute the "too narrow" part, do not forget "step2.2) (optional)" .
Mail admins must have the possibilitie to maintain a local extension to the
list where they can add or exclude blacklisted servers.

check if 192.168.0.102 is allowd to send in name of @Yoshi4184.MyIP.org

This requires extensions such as RMX.

maybe,.... a ISP knows what range of IP adresses are handed out to the
customers so think aboute a new kind of protocol something like SRCP (Spam
Rejection Control Protocol) where you have the option to check a IP adres
with the relaying server.

check if Yoshi4184(_at_)Yoshi4184(_dot_)MyIP(_dot_)org is a correct account
at
@Yoshi4184.MyIP.org

How do you check this?  For example, Yahoo and all M$ Exchange servers
do not verify recipient addresses at RCPT TO: time.

Not the RCPT TO... you should check this as recieving mail server so you
have to check the MAIL FROM with the relaying server to verify that the
account sending the mail exists at that server.... make use of the just
discribed SRCP protocol (Spam Rejection Control Protocol). This check
mechanisme should be part of this protocol.

I think that spam is such a big problem we should not only think aboute
remoddeling existing protocols buth we should also think aboute creating a
new protocol to prevent SPAM. The only problem is that you need the
industrie to get this new protocol up and running with new versions of mail
servers. You also should think aboute a transaction time to update existing
servers and create new versions of mail serversm i think we are talking
aboute a transaction time of 2 to 2.5 years counting from the moment the new
protocol is ready for implementation.

reagrds,
Johan.