Re: [Asrg] Economic model is borken. (sic.) Let's fix it

2003-03-04 18:48:10
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:14:20AM +0900, Shannon Jacobs allegedly wrote:

Solution? Obvious. Alternate economic model. Why not use an extended header
line for postage-paid email? Anyone who routes their email address through
such an extended SMTP server will receive NO MORE SPAM. No ifs, ands, buts.

Well... A lot less spam maybe. Many companies willing pay a US postage stamp
to send, eg, credit card offers. I get a couple a week. If these same companies
can select their target email addresses, I can't see why they wouldn't
be tempted to pay the postage-paid email fee (aka marketing cost) to spam me.

Sure, postage-paid email will destroy the business model of many spammers, but
not all spammers. Whether the reduced level is tolerable is a different
question.

Regards.