Re: [Asrg] Time for the ISPs to fight back!

2003-03-05 14:38:41
At 7:52 PM +0000 3/5/03, Richard wrote:
Instead I suggest that the detection software at ISPs should respond to the spam it detects. This wouldn't effect the few false positives that are found, in fact it would be a service as it would advise them to rephrase their subject line.

This is why everyone is talking about authenticated senders. You cannot reply until you know who to reply to. The message arrives from a machine not owned by the spammer. The from address isn't owned by the spammer. The web address listed in the email may only be up for a matter of hours before it is shut down. In fact often even the domain records get changed by the spammer after the spam has been out for a few hours. Any form of automatic reply promptly turns into a very convenient way to abuse innocent bystanders. It all comes back to authentication.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.