Re: [Asrg] definition of spam (was Re: consent expression)

2003-03-05 14:38:29
Keith Moore wrote:
But at the conceptual level, being able to express and enforce
_somehow_:

  Any consent has to be given from the receipient to the sender,
  and should be non-transferable and revokable at any time.

is critical.

no, I think that's a non-starter.  oh I suppose people can impose such
constraints if they wish, but it basically means they'll never get any
mail from somebody they don't know, because they have no way to give
them consent.

The context is bulk, not one-on-one email. With bulk, of course there is a way of giving consent. Subscribing/confirming to it.

at the very least, let's recognize that the kind of consent you are
talking about is different than a recipient giving consent to the mail
system to do filtering on a recipient's behalf.  and as I read the
charter, it's talking about the latter.

From a definition of spam perspective (see subject line), it's definately the former.