RE: [Asrg] definition of spam (was Re: consent expression)

2003-03-05 16:01:01

From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
On
Behalf Of Keith Moore
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 1:44 PM

they'll never get any mail from somebody they don't know,
because they have no way to give them consent.

Sounds good to me :-)!

at the very least, let's recognize that the kind of consent
you are talking about is different than a recipient giving
consent to the mail system to do filtering on a recipient's
behalf.  and as I read the charter, it's talking about the latter.

That's not the way I read the charter.  I read the statement on
consent-based communiccations in the charter as being able to build
systems that implement consent policies automatically.  The ability
of the recipient to choose a particular policy is also included (under
"Consent Expression Component"), but that's not how I think the word
consent is being used.

Gary