Re: [Asrg] definition of spam (was Re: consent expression)

2003-03-05 11:40:57
Brad Templeton wrote:
The purpose of a definition of spam is to use legal tactics against
it, typically in contract law, but also possibly in statute.

But that's not what we're defining spam _here_ for. Here we merely need a rough working definition so that we know what we're talking about.

Here, a rough working definition of "Unsolicited bulk email" is more than satisfactory and can help guide potential solutions. Because "unsolicited" and "bulk" is what is causing the problem we're seeing today.

Whether your practise of sending out party invitations is "actionable spam" is quibbling about thresholds, and can be deferred to the point where we want to talk about "how much bulk" does the law step in at.

Certainly, while it may be difficult for an individual recipient to determine the bulkishness of a specific email message, the spammer certainly does, and clearing houses (things similar to SpamCop) can, so can the law.