Re: [Asrg] definition of spam (was Re: consent expression)

2003-03-06 10:18:28
On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:46:38 -0500
Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com> wrote:

At 8:58 AM -0500 3/6/03, Keith Moore wrote:
I also don't believe in treating one-to-many email differently than
one-to-one email, because it's the content of the email that the
recipient cares about rather than the number of recipients.

I disagree, and I have several examples.

your first two examples support my assertion - they are both based
on content (perhaps on subtlties of content) rather than volume.  as for
your third example (and I've received messages like this also) -
yes, the meaning of the message changes if I can determine whether
the message was sent to lots of people.  but I generally figure if I
have never heard of a conference, and I don't know any of the people
who are supposed to be hosting the conference, then they're probably not
being very selective in inviting me.

I believe there are three components to identifying spam.

1. Routing information*
2. Content analysis
3. Bulk identification

Neither 1 nor 2 are completely sufficient without 3.

I disagree.  I don't want to receive ads for nigerian money transfer
scams.  I don't care if I'm the only one receiving those ads.

The fact that a message was sent to many people can significantly
change its interpretation.

yes, sometimes.  but does the recipient have a right to know how many
people a message was sent to?

let's say I get a message from my boss (or someone higher in the food
chain) telling me that I got a raise (or a pay cut).  should I be able
to determine whether that same message was sent to lots of other people
- i.e. do I have a right to know whether I'm being singled out?

I prefer routing information because it's based on the assumption
that spammers either a) have a safe-haven and can be blocked, or b)
are trying to hide where they are coming from.

I think the lies are short-term.  Keeping spammers from lying about
who they are won't stop spam, it will only mean that different people
are spamming.

Keith