Re: [Asrg] definition of spam (was Re: consent expression)

2003-03-05 06:35:44
--Keith Moore wrote on 05.03.03 06:27 -0500:

This may be a permission given from the user to their isp for
filtering/rejecting mail addressed to him without getting sued.
But thats not the consent we are talking about here.

I can't tell from the charter what kind of consent they're talking
about, but I'm pretty sure it's not what *you're* talking about.

Any consent has to be given from the receipient to the sender,
and should be non-transferable and revokable at any time.

no, that's clearly unworkable.

Could you be a bit more specific ?

The only one which can give consent for bulk-mail is the receipient,
and for mail to be sent the sender must have knowledge (even proof)
of this consent.

Thats how you and everybody else got subscribed to this mailing-list
which follows the outline at http://mail-abuse.org/manage.html

The isp (and possibly intermediate relays) will be involved only to
enforce the consent on behalf of the customer, today typically with
the help of blacklists which are not the ideal way.

Roland