Re: [Asrg] definition of spam (was Re: consent expression)

2003-03-05 14:30:34
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:45:27AM -0800, Brad Templeton allegedly wrote:

Nonetheless, I think if we came up with a really workable solution
that people could endorse in this fractious community, and a way
to make the changeover take place over a year or more, it could
be done.

I agree and I hope you're right.

people would be very angry.  Like a million small businesses where
some consultant installed Microsoft Exchange or Sendmail for them,
and they don't have the slightest idea how to upgrade it, and aren't
happy about paying $500 to get another consultant to come in and
do it.   You're not thinking like the joe ordinary computer user,
most of whom are like the above small biz.

Don't most of those Joes buy their connectivity from an ISP? Couldn't
the ISP proxy for Joe? Perhaps by intercepting port 25 traffic? Sure,
lot's of special cases, transitional s/w and what not, but helping
most Joes is a possibility.

Heck the ISPs won't mind. After all, won't they have lots of idle
abuse people and anti-spam servers sitting around just waiting for
something to do? (only half joking).

Regards.