Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-05 14:32:25
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Alan DeKok wrote:

  Why?  My filtering involved firewalling port 25, and sending ICMP
"port unreachable" messages to anyone not on a whitelist of IP's.  The
expense of doing that has turned out to be too much for me to handle.

Well, Alan, I have no idea what you did to attract that much spam, but
I assure you, it's unusual.  None of my clients nor the 500+ people on
the MIMEDefang mailing list have reported anywhere near the spam stats
on striker.ottawa.on.ca

  That's my point.  I don't *care* how cheap it is to run any kind of
filtering software.  It's still too expensive.

For you, maybe so.

Look at the numbers
Chris Lewis posted for Nortel.

Those numbers are not unmanageable.  And I believe Chris Lewis does run
filtering software.

A domain I administer gets about as
much spam as a company with 50k employees!

Yes, but why?  That's extremely unusual.  Did someone have it in for you
and sign you up to hundreds of lists?

--
David.