Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-07 08:15:52

  - Connections to servers can be from any IP

that's not a bug, it's a desirable feature

  - clients can claim to be anyone

that's not a bug, it's a desirable feature

  - clients can forward data to nearly anyone

that's not a bug, it's a desirable feature

  - servers can amplify the problem

that's not a bug, it's a desirable feature.

(but anytime you introduce proxies into a system then you have an inherent
security issue- those proxies can hide and amplify attacks.  this is as true
for IP proxies as for SMTP proxies)

  Fixing many of these protocol problems will minimize SMTP abuse, and
minimize the side-effects of that abuse.

and would make email less functional than it was in the 1970s.

  The main problem I see is the "thundering herd".

The main problem I see is the lack of any way to make senders accountable for
their actions, and to distinguish responsible senders from irresponsible ones.

Keith