Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-06 17:05:56
"David F. Skoll" <dfs(_at_)roaringpenguin(_dot_)com> wrote:
  So what are my alternatives?  Give up on email?  Pay $2k/year to
upgrade my equipment?

Change your domain and start fresh.

  That solution doesn't scale.

  All of the proposed solutions which talk about filtering mail are a
waste of time.

Maybe for you and 0.01% of the population.  For the other 99.99% of
us, filters are a good technology.

  Then why are you on this list?

  I'm here to talk about a *real* spam problem, where even a filter of
"firewall all IP's not on a whitelist" is too expensive to be
practical.

  Or are you saying that you're willing to solve your spam problem,
but not mine?

Does it really make sense to allow terabytes of garbage to fill the
network?

No, but how can you stop it?

  That's what I thought we were here to discuss.

Why wouldn't we just solve the problem by minimizing the garbage
traffic, instead of upgrading the network?

How?  Who says what is or isn't garbage?

  You do.  You're filtering & discarding spam already.

  Why was it acceptable to have that traffic pass over the Internet,
only to be thrown away by you?

I agree, but the need for filters will never go away.

  Oh, that's true.  But many people claim "filters work".

  That's like saying "I don't need surgery, I've got a band-aid!"

  Alan DeKok.