Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-06 17:53:03
On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Alan DeKok wrote:

Change your domain and start fresh.
  That solution doesn't scale.

Well, you are highly unlikely to have the kind of spam you've been
seeing.  Really.  Your stats are way off the chart.

Maybe for you and 0.01% of the population.  For the other 99.99% of
us, filters are a good technology.
  Then why are you on this list?

To help reduce spam for most people.  There will always be outlyers
who are beyond help.

  I'm here to talk about a *real* spam problem, where even a filter of
"firewall all IP's not on a whitelist" is too expensive to be
practical.

That level of spam does not yet exist for most people.  Your situation is
very unusual.

  Or are you saying that you're willing to solve your spam problem,
but not mine?

That's right.  Your problem is not representative of most people's problem.

  Oh, that's true.  But many people claim "filters work".
  That's like saying "I don't need surgery, I've got a band-aid!"

Filters work very well for a lot of people.  There are always outlying
data points; you have my sympathy. :-)

--
David.