Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-05 20:35:30
From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs(_at_)roaringpenguin(_dot_)com>
To: Alan DeKok <aland(_at_)freeradius(_dot_)org>

  So what are my alternatives?  Give up on email?  Pay $2k/year to
upgrade my equipment?

Change your domain and start fresh.  Publish MX records for your old
domain that point to 127.0.0.1.

It is also effective to become known as a net-nazi anti-comerz flamer
by reporting spam to ISPs and especially spammer-friendly ISPs that
will pass your addresses to the less insane spammers.  I recommend
never contacting spammers directly unless you are entertained by odd
phone calls, mail bombs, legal threats, more and sometimes less veiled
threats of violence, sendsys bombs, test-group bombs, and so forth from
the less stable spammers.  I've long since become bored by such stuff,
and so try hard to never contact spammers.  Spam friendly ISPs are pretty
good at shielding spam reporters from the whackos but helping the others
"list-wash."

I say this based on reports from other people and comparisons between
the spam sent toward my mailbox and spam sent to my several 100 traps.
The traps see a lot more spam that hits my filters.  Even the traps
that exist only hidden among the HTML of my web pages do pretty well
compared to vjs(_at_)rhyolite(_dot_)com which is openly visible on the same web
pages as well as many other places.