Re: [Asrg] Deprecating plain POP accounts

2003-03-05 20:36:11
  My example involved a machine which was NOT intended to originate
SMTP.  Due to misconfiguration/bugs, it does.

that's what you get for running (probably) microsoft.  don't expect us to
impair the rest of the network to accomodate their brain damage.

  Ad hominem attacks don't validate your position.  Reasoned,
evidence-based arguments validate your position.

fair enough.  so I'll state the same thing with less flamage:  if you have
software bugs, the thing you need to do is fix your software, not expect
people to degrade the flexibility of the network.  the network needs to be
predictable and behave in a uniform fashion, independently of location, if
software is to be able to work correctly from one machine to another, and one
location to another.

this mail is originating from some earthlink.net IP address;  the
return address is moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu(_dot_)   it's
perfectly valid for me to
be using that return address to send mail from that IP, or from any
other IP that my laptop happens to be connected to.

  Why?  You're stating it like it's an axiom, or a law of nature.

it's the way mail is supposed to work.  it's consciously chosen and highly
desirable behavior.

  Ah.  So it's an axiomatic property of the network, and you're
unwilling or unable to justify your position.

it's not an axiom.  it's part of the design.  it is desirable for domains to
be independent of network location (for instance, so a domain can encompass
multiple locations that are distant from one another, or so a domain can have
multiple network prefixes -- but more generally because domains are not
intended to name locations in the network topology).  it's also part of the
design that email addresses are not tied to locations in the network, and that
the From address is settable by the originator.  if you look at RFC 822 then
you'll see examples of this.

yes.  furthermore, it would be undesirable to force people to connect to
servers that verified their identities.

  Why?

because anonymous speech is valuable, and valuable speech can be suppressed
when people are not allowed to speak anonymously.

Keith