Re: [Asrg] Deprecating plain POP accounts

2003-03-05 18:20:39
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:32:17 -0500
"Gary Feldman" <gaf(_at_)rtr(_dot_)com> wrote:

From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Keith Moore
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 6:53 PM

this mail is originating from some earthlink.net IP address;
the return address is moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu(_dot_)   it's
perfectly valid for me to
be using that return address to send mail from that IP, or from any other

How do I know it's valid?

the same way you know any address is valid - unless the message is signed by a
party that you trust, you don't.  the IP address certainly doesn't tell you
that it's valid.

And if I can't tell whether it's valid,
what reason do I have to accept it?

because you want to read it?  because in general there's no way for you to
know whether any sender address is valid?  because chances are, you're not
evaluating the content of this message based on who said it anyway, but based
on how much sense it makes to you.  *who* said it is mostly irrelevant.

I can't imagine any reason why, in theory, I would ever want to accept
mail with a return address that I can't validate.

since you probably can't validate ANY email that you receive, why do you read
mail at all?

do you read snail mail that you can't validate?  why?  it might contain spam,
or worse, anthrax....

Keith