RE: [Asrg] Deprecating plain POP accounts

2003-03-05 17:33:30
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
On
Behalf Of Keith Moore
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 6:53 PM

this mail is originating from some earthlink.net IP address;
the return
address is moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu(_dot_)   it's perfectly valid
for me to
be using that
return address to send mail from that IP, or from any other

How do I know it's valid?  And if I can't tell whether it's valid,
what reason do I have to accept it?  (Setting aside, for the moment,
that the mail has been passed through a list server that has
some controls.)

I can't imagine any reason why, in theory, I would ever want to accept
mail with a return address that I can't validate.  If you want to,
that's
you're right, but that doesn't mean that other people - whether
end-users or mail service operators - should.  In actual practice,
people
accept such mail not because they like to get invalid mail, but because
the validation mechanisms aren't in place.

Since someday I might actually want to receive mail from someone not
able
to send from their return domain - it means that a way to validate
such emails would be useful.

Gary