Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-07 11:12:41
I don't believe that's true. The big differentiator between the normal user and the spammer is the volume of messages sent out. A spammer wishing to send out hundreds of thousands of messages would end up paying hundreds of dollars each time. An average user would see an increased bill every month of perhaps 10 cents!

At 12:20 PM 3/7/2003, you wrote:
> Requiring senders to pay would make them accountable.

not unless you could somehow vary the cost according to how annoying the
message is.  if the cost per message is the same no matter who sends it or
what the message says, there's no cost I could set which is high enough to
deter spammers and low enough to not deter people I want to receive mail from.

Keith