Re: consent expression (was RE: [Asrg] ASRG next steps)

2003-03-04 17:19:17
From: Paul Judge <paul(_dot_)judge(_at_)ciphertrust(_dot_)com>

Consent expression means that someone can state which communication they
wish to receive or not to receive. This allows a very granular definition by
each user(individual or organization).

                               ...  A different approach is to step away
from the binary decision of spam and non-spam and realize that communication
can be more granularly defined. For example, "product offers", "chain
letters", "mailing lists", "newsletters", "greeting cards", "fradulent
offers", "unauthenticated messages", "unverifiable messages", etc.  By
developing a robust categorization of messages, we can allow users to
express consent for certain types of communication. This allows the common
lack-of-consent policies to be implemented as close to the source as
possible. From there, we require an architecture that can support these
policies. This architecture may very well be a combination of current and
new approaches.

We already have ways to characterize and optionally refuse "unauthenticated
messages" or "unverifiable messages" for various notions of those.
For example, you can tell your SMTP server to reject mail that fails
SMTP-TLS verification or does not use SMTP-AUTH.

I'd be interested in hearing useful notions of the others.  I fear
that legitimate mail doesn't need content identifiers, because its
targets want it regardless of labels, while spam will always have
surprising labels.  Mail that should be tagged "fradulent offers" will
always be marked otherwise as "newsletters" or "greeting cards."  Mail
that should be marked "unsolicited newsletters" will be marked "about
last night."  Of course, legitimate ISPs won't tolerate that, but
legitimate ISPs already don't tolerate spam.