Re: [Asrg] definition of spam (was Re: consent expression)

2003-03-06 08:57:02
At 8:58 AM -0500 3/6/03, Keith Moore wrote:
I also don't believe in treating one-to-many email differently than one-to-one
email, because it's the content of the email that the recipient cares about
rather than the number of recipients.

I disagree, and I have several examples.

I received a very nice letter (complete with a .sig of a sleeping cat) from someone wishing to subscribe to "your mailing list". I run several mailing lists. I came very close to replying, but the sender had pushed the limits just a little too much. She included a very nice (and perfectly innocent) photo in her mail--that's not a normal .sig. Investigation showed that the URL in her .sig was for a soft-porn site. Other than the picture (and some people *do* send email with their picture in the .sig, believe it or not), the only thing that distinguished this email from email that I normally get was the fact that it was sent to lots of people, not just me. A fact that could not be determined by any information provided in the message.

I received an abuse report. It was a complaint that someone was spamming using my domain, and advertising a particular site. Also something that I get not infrequently. The content was perfectly normal. The key was that I received the same report at two completely unrelated email addresses. It was in fact spam for the site listed in the abuse report.

Finally, one that came up at the MIT Spam Conference, and I'm sure many of us have seen. You receive a request to participate in a private conference. Sounds like a great opportunity to meet with peers working on similar things. But if you realized that the same invitation was sent to 100,000 other people, your opinion of the idea very quickly changes.

I believe there are three components to identifying spam.

1. Routing information*
2. Content analysis
3. Bulk identification

Neither 1 nor 2 are completely sufficient without 3. The fact that a message was sent to many people can significantly change its interpretation.

My personal belief is that #2 is a bad idea. Content filtering is good when your goal is to filter content. However it's a lousy way to identify spam, because you basically spend all your time trying to figure out what the spammers are selling, and trying to distinguish how they sell it, from how legit mailers sell it. Right now this isn't as hard as it might be, because the two groups tend to sell different things. But as the two converge, and as spammers continue to actively evade countermeasures, it will get harder and harder.

I prefer routing information because it's based on the assumption that spammers either a) have a safe-haven and can be blocked, or b) are trying to hide where they are coming from. Detect the lies, and you know it's spam. When you are looking for lies in the routing information you spend most of your time dealing with poorly configured legitimate mail servers. It's much easier to deal with problems caused by mistakes than trying to deal with people who are actively trying to fool you.

* I don't mean a simplistic examination of the Received: headers here. But this isn't the place to go into the details.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.