principles / first do no damage (Re: [Asrg] definition of spam)

2003-03-05 12:47:47
To avoid the trend of people only airing negative opinions, let me say
that I think Brad's narrow content-neutral unsolicited high volume
definition to be spot-on.  We really must avoid solutions which reduce
functionality, reliability and freedoms of email.

I'd also encourage everyone who hasn't to read Brad's principles page:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/spume/prin.html

I'd like to see the group adopt this set of principles as basic
requirements of the "first do no damage" kind, where as we evaluate
technology we hold it up to these principles.

It's easy to notionally fix spam, if one starts out with assumptions
that include damaging reliability and functionality, or could work if
fully deployed but offer no obvious route to deployment.

I think solutions need to provides value to people who upgrade,
without damaging backwards compatibility so that there is incentive to
upgrade.

As one example (not that it hasn't got other problems) on the CAMRAM
list (CAMRAM is a hashcash related proposal) someone proposed using
hashcash to white list to avoid false negatives of Bayesian filters.

This seems good from the above perspective because as a sender you
have an incentive: if you use this system mail you send will not get
falsely filtered by Bayesian filters; and it is backwards compatible
because people who don't use it to send can still send and receive
mail (modulo the false negatives of Bayesian filters).

And as well as slowing spam if it becomes widely deployed, due to the
computational cost of hashcash, it increases reliability as the false
negative problem is reduced for it's users.

That plus signatures as white-lists so that hashcash is only used on
the first email is the basis of the CAMRAM proposal: http://www.camram.org

Adam