Re: [Asrg] definition of spam (was Re: consent expression)

2003-03-06 17:42:55
At 01:32 PM 3/5/2003 +0000, Roland wrote:
>> Any consent has to be given from the receipient to the sender,
>> and should be non-transferable and revokable at any time.

The only one which can give consent for bulk-mail is the receipient,

Look through the header lines on this email, and tell me who is the sender and who is the recipient? My system (my PC) very likely never spoke with your PC. Rather, it traversed a number of SMTP sessions, going from relay to relay, such as (copied out of an email I sent earlier in the week and received back on this list):

       My PC -> mira-sjc5-b.cisco.com
             -> sj-core-2.cisco.com
             -> ietf.org
             -> www1.ietf.org
             -> proxy1.cisco.com
             -> sj-msg-av-3.cisco.com
             -> sj-core-2.cisco.com
             -> mira-sjc5-b.cisco.com
       and finally a POP session to my PC.

So to whom do I assert that I am only willing to receive <something>, or that I am not willing to receive <something>? And which system is "me"?

I think the relay servers at the IETF are the place where the spammer will send; one would like them to reject traffic <somehow> based on the traffic being inappropriate for the list. That is essentially what we do when we moderate traffic. My company also has servers that inspect the language in an email and classify some subset of it as commercial messages, presumably unsolicited, with a fairly low false positive rate. The rate is low enough that I have elected to tell my Mirapoint server to discard anything that SpamAssassin or whatever said process uses has decided is probably spam; I'd rather accept the false positives than deal with the trash. My PC, of course, has a list of filters that won't quit, partly for spam and partly for sorting messages into appropriate mail files.

Even spam that is directed to my personal email address goes through several steps. I got an email earlier today (from an airline that apparently has very compatible flight attendants) that was sent to

       laptop -> proxy1.cisco.com
              -> sj-msg-av-3.cisco.com
              -> sj-core-2.cisco.com
              -> mira-sjc5-b.cisco.com
       and finally a POP session to my PC.

So I don't think either end user talks with the other, and their direct agents (laptops) don't.

We need to sort out what kinds of policies might be applied in different places, and how much user control there is. It would be very nice to somehow automate the concept of a "moderator", and apply straightforward filters - no matter how compatible the flight attendants, I actually might have lived without that advertisement...