Re: [Asrg] Good versus bad (was Re: RMX Records )

2003-03-05 11:56:03
Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com> wrote:
  If my ISP is under serious attack from spammers, then some level of
"good" mail will probably be thrown out with the spam.

That's wrong, unless mail is a mere frill or recreation for you.

  It's also reality.  The cost of getting 100% accuracy is
prohibitive.

My personal set of filters have a false positive rate of much less
than 0.1% or about the normal failure rate of email.

  I thought that's what I was saying...

People whose livelihoods depend on mail cannot, will not, and do not
accept false positive rates above 1%.  That you can talk about changing
the false positive rate by 2% brands you as outside that class.

  I agree completely.  My false positive rate is zero.  As is my false
negative.  As is the total amount of mail I receive at some domains.

  Filtering is a complete waste of time for some domains.  It's
simpler to give up, and walk away from the domain.  If you can live
with filtering, that's nice for you.  But you should also realize that
by some standards, you're not receiving any appreciable amount of
spam.

  Alan DeKok.