Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records

2003-03-05 08:11:46
Vernon Schryver wrote:

People whose livelihoods depend on mail cannot, will not, and do not
accept false positive rates above 1%.

We have to remember, however, that the "true" false positive rate isn't determined _solely_ by how much legitimate email your filters block, but by the amount of legitimate email that doesn't get through.

They may seem to be the same, but it isn't.

A full bore TMDA (all first time email carries a "click this link to let the email through") has a 100% false positive rate in the filters first go-round. But if the senders follow the instructions, it's 100% delivery in the end. [Presuming it works as it's supposed to, and you don't have senders with broken mailers that can't see/display the returns.]

Discussions of false positives has to take into account what you do with a reject, and the practises you follow to rectify problems.

Yes, my management would draw and quarter me if our false positive rate got above even .01%. It is. False positive handling is part of the insurance to make sure that we eventually do deliver all legitimate email.